Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Leadership race pool

Ok kids,

It's time we start using this blog for what it was really designed for; High Stakes Gambling and by that I mean bets on who will win the liberal leadership race for bragging rights.
As a special added twist, we will also be taking your best stab at the Alberta PC leadership race. (Anyone who bets on Ted Morton will keep my up at night and can thus no longer be my friend)

So here's how it works.

In the commment section below post who you think will win the race and on what ballot.
(IE Joe Volpe trillionth ballot, after the Quebec wing blocks an office chair because they are unsure of its stand on the "nation" question.)

Keeping in mind there is no money in this little game, the tie-breaking rules are entirely arbitrary.

1. You have to get the right Liberal candidate
2. You have to get the right ballot
3. You have to pick the right Conservative
4. You have to be the first to make these choices.

(If at this point if we are still tied we get to the arbritary rules, a special hat tip to Dan Blouin)

5. Are any people left in the tie breaking round me? (If they are they win)
6. How much do I like the person left in the tie-breaking round? (Is it possible for me to pick a favourtie?)
7. Are the people in the tie-breaking round willing to fight it out in a duel?
8. Commence duel.


Let the betting begin!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bob Rae, third Ballot; Ignatieff has peaked, Kennedy has no French, Dion is from Quebec and can't win federally.
Ted Morton, for the given reasons

6:47 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joe Volpe deserves high fives all around for his commitment to not let the Liberal reputation get too uppity. Ken Dryden deserves a hug. Martha Hall Findley...well I don't have any opinion on her. It's cute to have a woman running for leadership. Scott Brison is a wiener.

Ignatieff has only so much steam that he can run on and I don't think he can grab much additional support outside of his core. Gerard Kennedy may make a good cabinet minister, but the lack of French will not make him a Liberal leader. However, I have a feeling that his supporters could hand the leadership over to Rae or Dion. On that front I'm not sure who I pick. I think Dion seems to be pretty good on policy, but not presentation. Bob Rae knows his politics, but carries much baggage.
Ultimately, I'm leaning towards Rae on the third ballot.

Alberta? I don't even know who's running so I'll say in a surprising turn of events, Rona Ambrose is going to say nuts to the environment and then ascend into the role of Conservative leader of Alberta.

9:26 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bob Rae. Fourth ballot.


...Failing that:

Dion on the first, second, fourth, fifth or sixth ballot....

Ignatieff on the first, second, third, fourth, fifth or sixth ballot....

Also Rae on the first, second, fifth or sixth ballot.

Your rules stipulated that the first person to call it wins. I think I've covered my bases quite nicely here.

With regards to Alberta, I predict that Bush will leave the unwelcome confines of Washington and head somewhere more receptive to his policies. Say hello to Alberta's new pontifex maximus, I mean premier.

6:57 PM

 
Blogger Ryan / Andy said...

I am going to first disqualify everything, but Mason's first choice.

And I am also going to note that so far only one of you has picked someone in the actual PC leadership race. Although I really hope Joe is right.

As a result my picks are as follows.

Ignatief second ballot, or not at all.

Jim Dinning because he is so far the only one that doesn't keep me up at night.

9:33 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Original Andy's Picks

Bob Rae (God help us all) 4th ballot

Alberta: In a surprising turn of events(possibly even to him) Ralph Klein

11:45 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay I am gonna have to go with Rae on the third ballot, because I think Ignatieff is too green or at least appears that way. And poor ol' Dion is so boring everyone will be asleep at the end of his speech and will miss voting for him!
And Alberta, okay I don't know who is running there but judging by the rep of the province I am going to say they are going to be old, white and male...am I close?? ;)

4:21 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In an eleventh-hour bet, I will take Rae in three and Dinning in two.

6:41 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home