Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Where did I go? Oh there I am!

Ok,

I know I disappeared for a while, but to make up for it . . . Adorable photo. We ran this as cover a few weeks back and I have received more comments, calls and questions about it than anything I have done since I got here.



Okay this is the other thing I have ben meaning to show you all. Every town in the prairies has something to set itself apart. Westlock up until a little why ago was home to the world record harvest. Essentially, they got a couple dozen combines and speed-harvested a field. The whole thing raised awareness for the Canadian Foodgrains bank that sends grain to Africa.
Then Winkler, Manitoba decided to get smart. This summer they broke Westlock's record, but in fairness they did it for a good reason as well and the people of Westlock took it in stride.

Officially plans were well underway long before Winkler decided to break the record, but I think there was a plan to give Westlock a new claim to fame.

And so, the Canadian Tractor Museum, which is also here in town decided to build this. It is a antique tractor mounted on a 60-70 foot pole with all the trimmings of a weathervane, or, as I like to call it "The World's Largest Tractor-Shaped Weathervane." (I am trying to get the town to recognize it and by that I mean badgering my co-workers with the idea of starting a campaign in the paper, so far to little success.)

Here is the crazy thing, it works. The slightest wind blows and it moves and changes direction. It is actually really impressive. They got some kind of a bearing and people who know things about machining things and they did it.




2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

SLOOOOW day at the office? Strictly speaking, it isn't a tractor shaped weather vane, it's a classical 'arrow' weathervane with a model of a tractor on top.

9:36 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAHAHAHA! Okay I officially almost peed my pants laughing at this photo. Seriously Dude where did you move to....and I thought the boredom in the Irish midlands was bad, but they got nothing on your crew! It's a great photo though and I appreciate the giggle.

4:26 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home