Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Why I am going to Hell (specifically)



Alright,

Most of you can probably think of a number of answers to the question posed above, some of you are coming with me.
But I have really noticed how often my journalistic instincts and my being a human being instincts can conflict.

For example, this week we were sitting in the newsroom with the scanner chattering away and next thing we hear "We have a line sprayer versus a semi collision all units report." I and for that matter the other reporter and our publisher looked at each other and expressed more or less in unison. "Wow, I bet that will make an awesome photo."
The guy in the paint sprayer was mildly injured and the semi driver was just fine, and I believe as shown to the right it does make a pretty sweet photo. (It was also one of the easiest accidents to find, just follow the freshly painted lines until you find paint all over the road.)

That said, it kinda reminded me of the discussion we often have around the newsroom about how often as journalists you benefit from tragedy in the lives of others.

Example number two:

I interviewed a guy last week who had just returned from Afghanistan. Other than he was a local guy and he had been in Afghanistan, I knew little to nothing about him.
Over the course of the interview I learned a lot of things, but there was nothing spectacular to the story.
Then I found out he had been sent home a month early because he was injured in a suicide attack. The attack killed two other soldiers and I suddenly had something to make the story interesting.

Even though he talked a lot about working with Afghan people and building bridges, giving out medicine etc., I still think the attack is the most interesting thing about his time there. Actually, I know it is.

I also know that the accident is a good photo. We are a mostly subscription paper, but we also sell quite a few in shops around town and a good photo makes all the difference in pick-up. In the end, the accident was our front this week.
I think reporters might just be more honest about basic human instincts. Of course, it is also possible we're all going to hell.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home