Monday, August 21, 2006

Ryan learns about rodeo



I went to the rodeo at the Westlock fair this weekend. I was working, but I probably would have gone to see it anyway because I had never been to a rodeo.

There were a whole bunch of events at the rodeo and I have to say, I was impressed by the athleticism of the participants. I also found the whole thing entertaining. I got right up close for the bull riding event, right at the gate where they let the bulls out. I got to see the whole process up close and let me tell you something.

I am now cheering for the bull.

You see they take this belt and wrap it around the bulls testicles and pull really tight and then they electrocute the bull, occasionally in the testicles. That's what has the bull all pissed off. I always thought in my naive Eastern way that the bull was just pissed someone was riding it.

You could probably jump on a bull no problem if you didn't electrocute its testicles first.*

I am not an animal activist. I eat lots of meat, I am ok with the seal hunt, and while not a hunter I don't think they are evil, but it seems a touch outlandish to vilify a bull that is pissed because you just electrocuted it in the testicles. If someone electrocuted you in your testicles would you not be pissed off? (use your imagination ladies)

* I take no responsibility if someone tries this.

I took some cool photos at the fair. I am going to put them up soon.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ryan I laughed so hard at that rodeo experience I am still dealing with the tears dripping off my face! You are hilarious and your blog is better than reading any book on the West!!! Miss you here in O-town though.
Daina

5:28 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sure it is probably some form of journalistic karma for the years you and I have spent making fun of country folk. That being said I don't think the tone of this one could have been more city slicker, fish out of water, if your name was Billy Crystal. Good story though, and for the record there are probably alot of people that not only wouldn't be pissed at having their testicles electrocuted but would in fact pay good money for the service. Not that I speak from experience, those pictures were fuzzy at best, could've been anybody. Talk to you soon buddy.

Your big city brother,
Andrew a.k.a classic Andy

1:45 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ryan that was hilarious and informative - I too thought that the bull was just mad that someone climbed on it's back - but now i know better.

Jisan

5:52 PM

 
Blogger Nick Poirier said...

Classic andy is awesome

6:16 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home