Wednesday, August 30, 2006

City kid gets weirded out in a small town



I realized I haven't put a photo up in a while so here's a completely unrelated shot of the world's biggest wagon wheel and pick in Fort Assiniboine, Alberta. I took it on the way to, or on the way back from a forest fire a few months ago.

And now the focus.

I have noticed everyone in town knows who I am. This likely has something to do with the photo beside my name in the paper. (investagatory journalist at work)

We have over 5,000 subscriptions and the town only has 5,000 so everybody reads us and it didn't take long for everyone to figure out who I was.

It's weird to be in a community where people know who you are even though you have no idea who they are. The older people also start up conversations about an article I wrote, or the other guy wrote, or something someone wrote one time in their lifetime, or the weather that day, or where their medication might be.

But never mind that now.

Anymawho

My point, (other than the obvious people know each other in small towns) is that it is an interesting experience to be recognized and not know why. Growing up in Markham the only people who knew you actually knew you.

I have had this experience before, because my mom has worked in the same hospital for 30ish years and when my brother and I visit people point at us and say "Barb's kid." They also tell you they were in the room when you were born, which as I am sure Andrew can attest is weird.

But I have never had it on such a large scale.

(wow this post got rambly stay tuned for more lucid thoughts in the weeks to come)

Working on a meth feature over the next few weeks. It is a crazy problem out here.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dammthat stadium seating in delivery rooms.
For your own protection, you should point out that your mum was very young when she started working at the hospital.

6:21 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ryan, I always knew you had celebrity awaiting you in your future.

It's impressive that all 5,000 people in the city can read.

7:47 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lisen you sity-slikers with your fancy talk and your future-like typerighters. we'all can reed and right up in here westlock and alls you beotches from eastlock (oh burn) can suck on prairie oisters.

snap.

9:17 AM

 
Blogger Ryan / Andy said...

Joe I'm pretty sure I sent you an e-mail about this. Although let me take this opportunity to point out to everyone that they should feel free to share the news of the blog's existence.
Also Joe, I left most of the editing to my co-editor you know that.
I just phoned it in.

1:27 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home