Monday, September 25, 2006

I am Ryan's sloth filled weekend

This weekend was the first significant time off I had in a while. I calculated it on Friday when I was finishing my week's worth of stories and, as of Friday, I had worked 23 of the last 24 days.
We had a special supplement on natural resources and a bunch of other things and 24 days later I had done an ass-load of work. Some of those days were half days, but others were days and half.
When I first decided I was going to leave foreign affairs I started looking at daily newspapers exclusively. In retrospect that was a mistake.
I am doing very good work out here. I was complemented recently by my boss who also gave me a raise upon the end of my three month probation. It has occurred to me that you don't have to be at a big newspaper to do good work, but you do have to be at a good newspaper.
The crazy amount of days I work are because I work on a lot of stories. Everyone else I work with also works crazy hours. My boss works six days a week every week, I think the other reporter has been working as long as me if not longer , but we all want to see a good paper at the end of it.
I told my boss on Friday when we were putting the paper together that I thought the other reporter might be close to a burn out.
I am trying to decide whether I warned my boss because I was worried about the other reporter or my burgeoning workload. I think it's perhaps 50/50, maybe 60/40, possibly 90/10.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home